Saturday, February 13, 2010

Jeckedelphia Alaaf!...or Carnival in Philly

When you read that headline, you might think "What the heck is Gerry talking about? Carnival in Philly? In the US?"
Well, let me tell you: The first time I heard that there is a Carnival party in Philly, I thought, this can't be anything good...or comparable...to the Carnival parties I know...:-)
Tim, who lives in the US for 2 years now, attended the last Carnival party and recommended it to us. For me, as a girl from Cologne (or so close by), some reluctance still remainded. When I heard that this was organized by the German society it sound at least worth a try but then I learned that the main organizer of the event is American. Hope for a good 'Carnival-like' night, declined again for me.
But still, I needed to find out what this was all about. The first weird thing was that they recommend a theme for the costumes: Soccer world championship. Who the heck gives a theme for Carnival???? Anyway, I had the chance to wear my Flamenco costume again and went a Spanish Flamenco dancer.



The party was hosted in Philly at the 'Rathskeller'. When we went down the stairs to the basement and entered the room I couldn't believe what I saw: It looked as if we would be back in Germany in one of the old school, traditional pubs with all the colorful glass in the windows, the dark wood, the decoration with all the heavy mugs and a real bar to order drinks. This already turned me into a good mood. At least the location seemed to be authentic...But then the next surprised hit me: The music! I heard songs from Cologne!!!Typical Colonian Carnival songs! For those who are from the area, I will tell you that they were playing De Hoehner, De Raeuber and Brings as well as all the Mallorca Schlager Songs. Well, the night seemed to work out.



But the highlight was about to come: I went to the bar to grab a drink and ordered a beer. Waiting a the counter, I glimpsed around and checked out the area behind the bar. I discovered some real glass for the Colonian beer at the other side of the counter...."No way" I thought, "they do not really have...??" and by leaning over the counter and checking out the keg from which they poured my beer, I learned that they really had a keg of "Gaffel Koelsch". Even though Gaffel Koelsch would be my first choice at home, I cannot describe you, how happy I felt at that moment! A piece of home. I would have never imagined that! Of course there is no need to tell you that this night was a blast, even though I missed the Colonian Carnival!

See how Carnival in Philly looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment